Wednesday, September 9, 2020

old tunes

 I had my entire life upended by the suicide of one of my very best friends in the winter of 1994, I spent the following five months living in a tent up in the Uintah Mountains of northern Utah and then, on a whim, took a job in Yallerstoned National Park where I spent the next decade. One of the huge benefits of that came about because of that was I got exposed to a massive amount of music new to me. Widespread Panic, Phish, Southern Culture On The Skids, String Cheese Incident, Leftover Salmon, the list is extensive.

The one band that I learned about back then that still makes me grin is an outfit from Chicago, Sonia Dada. This is their live album (with horns!)  that stands the test of time. Gospel, Jazz, R&B light a fire that never quits.... These fuckers never stopped and blew the walls out of wherever they played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csozhQ90KIc

No comments: